Is “Occupy” a Cosmic Tremor?

Oct/November 2011

By: RM Allen,

author of The New Hampshire Goddess Chronicles, vol.1. Light Your Torch, 
a fun, easy, green, and sustainable book available on Kindle, Amazon, or
at http://www.nhgoddess.com for only $14.95

I am not an activist.  I try to steer away angry events and people. Perhaps I am a coward?
To me, anger indicates winners versus losers. I don’t even like to use the word win, because it simultaneously implies lose -and both words generate sadness in my heart. I don’t enjoy competition in any form, but what I do enjoy is collaboration. So, not knowing what I would find, I hesitantly went to Occupy Boston last Sunday at my pastor’s invitation to attend the UU worship service.

This is my interpretation of the newborn jumble known globally as the “Occupy” movement:

(see my
video here:

Across from South Station in Boston a quite well-organized tent city has arisen in a park.
On the “main street” of that city are tents labeled: Logistics, Medical, Legal,
Library, Food, Donations, and more. There is even a Generator tent, with a
Gilligan’s island set-up where you pedal a bike to charge up your cell phone.
Each tent has a white-board of sorts in front of it with common daily schedules
and info. This ad-hoc city is self-sustaining. I have a MBA, and understand
that Occupy can be seen as a political or economic protest against Corporate
America by the 99% of Americans that are not millionaires.

But, to me, the self-proclaimed “Green Goddess of New Hampshire”, – I also came to
understand Occupy as a spiritual movement. There are sleeping tents are
clustered in the back “suburbs”, and in central tent-burbia, just past the
giant Gandhi statue,  is a “faith” tent. Since I am the author of a very green, spiritual book, this tent with incense wafting out of it caught my attention.

After a once-around of the whole park, and some free rutabaga salad at the food tent, I
left my shoes at the door of the Faith tent, and sat down to meditate. Can you
imagine trying to meditate in the midst of something so alive and dynamic as a
city of protest? A large number of men close by had formed an African drumming
circle, and their music formed the rhythm of my meditation.  People of all ages came and went in the tent. I stayed, like a content cat, comfortable in my slice of October sunlight.  A yoga class started in the tent. Still I stayed.

This is what I determined while in the tent:

Occupy is a spiritual movement against Greed. Occupy is movement for common sense
Sustainability. Occupy is about closing the fairness gap between the haves and
the have-nots. Occupy is a place where you can find your tribe  -all you have to do is stand there and hold up a sign of concern, or wear that message  on your shirt, and people will come and talk to you about your concern. Occupy is about the 99% of people getting together to Collaborate, because the other 1% is only interested in Competition. And Competition, at its core, is
Unsustainable.

The Mayan Calendar ends in 2012, and it is rumored that there will be a massive shift in
consciousness then. While in the tent I began to wonder if Occupy is the
beginning tremors of that cosmic shift. Occupy is a grassroots movement of the
heart. Visit it, and let it into your heart.

Sign up for the monthly Green Goddess Orgasmagical eNewsletter by sending a note to Info@nhgoddess.com 

  • Buy  The New Hampshire Goddess Chronicles, vol.1. Light Your Torch,
  • a fun, easy, green, and sustainable book available on Kindle ($2.99)
  •  Amazon.com, or www.nhgoddess.com ($14.95)

 Join in the fun on:
the Facebook page, or NHgoddess.wordpress.com, NHgoddessDotCom@YouTube  and/or NHgoddess@Twitter

Published by nhgoddess

RM Allen is the author of The New Hampshire Goddess Chronicles series, small but effective books on the intersection of spirituality & environmentalism. She continues the small but effective theme in her newest writing project: the Maryvonne Mini-Mystery series, which are about racism and redress. The first book released January 2020: Incident at Exeter Tavern. Second book released September 2020: Incident at Ioka. Both o Amazon/Kindle or Water Street Bookstore. Thanks for your support!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: